Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Book reviews : 'D' books

This week I couldn't find that many interesting books on D. Maybe many were already borrowed out. A lot books start with 'Don't' and many were about dogs and dinosaurs.

A Dark Dark Tale I had reservations about borrowing this because Sean doesn't usually like scary stories. But the story had such a cute end, I had to borrow it. And the illustrations are really good. This is one book I'll borrow again.

I've just found this video. I didn't think that the story telling was great, but I learn a bit more about how to tell the story, i.e. more descriptions about things in the pictures.








The Dog that Dug

A funny story about a dog who was a bit of a clot who dug and dug and dug and found an old brown shoe, a coal mining miner, a tubular train and dinosaur bones. The illustrations are very detailed. It's by the same illustrator as Captain Teachum. It's a book that even older kids will love to read again and again.








Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers

Funny, but there's no story line. It's just about all the things that animals don't usually do, told in a rhyming text. It's meant to get your imagination started. The illustrations are very cute though.









Don't make me laugh

Funny, but Sean didn't get it the first time. I don't like the illustrations though.










Don't rock the Ark

A rather long story for Sean at this time. Quite a cute story about not making the elephants in the Ark move about too much. The illustrations were cute and detailed and really gets you into how the inside of Noah's ark look like.









Dooby Dooby Moo

Another cute story from the author of 'Click Clack Moo. Cows that type', but I found there were too many 'Dooby Dooby Moo....' sound effects. Maybe after reading it several times, I got rather tired of dooby dooby mooing. =P











I wish that I had duck feet

A very cute story about a boy who wants to have duck feet, deer horns, a whale spout, a long long tail, and an elephant's nose. The text is easy and rhyming. It's meant to be a book for early readers. So I would say this is a good book to encouraeg early readers to read because of the silly story.











These are not 'D' books:

The Very hungry Caterpillar

Always a favorite. We've borrowed this many many times. Love it.

I was very happy to find this video. I didn't even know they existed until I accidentally found a link while YouTubing.




Nature's Pattern

A great book to introduce nature's patterns: stripes, spots, spirals, and symmetry. Short but it has great photographs showing the animals with these patterns.










All from an Oak Tree

A good book to show about a tree life cycle. It has lots of good photos.











Starfish
Cute story about star fish. I even learn about how starfish open up clams to eat.

The first video is rather long, but it has many pictures of beautiful starfish. So I'm keeping this for later when Sean is interested in starfish.





No comments:

Post a Comment