Saturday, September 12, 2009

Book reviews : 'C' books

In the excitement of Sean's birthday, I forgot totally to do book reviews of the2nd batch of 'B' books. We are reading 'C' books this week.

Captain Teachum's Buried Treasure

My personal favorite this week. The story is funny and the illustrations are so detailed that the illustrations tells the story even without words. This book is something I'd buy if I see it in the book shop.









A Cache of Jewels

Another one of my favorite. The illustrations are just right to get us interested in Collective nouns. I learn many new collective nouns. Ruth Heller is a great author. Her books are so informative and so beautifully done. I feel like buying up all her books. =D






Coulicoco's Sleepy Afternoon

I love the story of a young boy's afternoon nap, when no one would disturb him. The setting is so idyllic that I want to sleep in a hammock too. It's a beautiful story that I would like to read again and again.







Click Clack Moo Cows That Type

This is the 2nd or maybe 3rd time I've borrowed the book. A really cute story about cows and chickens demanding electric blanket. There's a funny twist in the end when the neutral party, Duck, took over the typewriter to type a note asking for a diving board for their pond.









Charlie needs a Cloak

A great story about how a shepherd whose clock is old and torn up, shears his sheep and spins them into wool, and then made them into cloth, dye it and finally made it into a new cloak for himself. The last picture showed him in his brand new cloak while one of his sheep was chewing it from behind and making new holes in it. Informative and funny. I like it.






The Cloud book

An interesting way to tell us about all the types of clouds, very informative, but I prefer to see real pictures of clouds for something like this. Maybe I just like funny books. So this is something I'll borrow again for Sean in the future when he wants to know about clouds, but I won't buy it.

These are not 'C' books, but I thought we should look at a few non-fictional books too. Sean was quite adamant about not reading these at first because they are not 'C' books. LOL. But when I read them, he liked them too.



Minibeasts

Simple clear pictures of small insects : Snail, spider, butterfly, bumblebee, grasshopper, Ant, Ladybird and Damselfly.

Did you know that bumblebees' nest is in the ground? I didn't know. I learned something new too.








Penguins

Lots of pictures of different type of penguins and about how they live. Informative. I'm glad the library carries these books.













Maria Montessori : The Secret of Childhood

This is the book I'm currently reading (not finished yet) but I would like to recommend this to all mothers and teachers. Maria Montessori is inspiring.

There are a few sentences I'd like to quote and remind myself for the future:

' We should remember that a child loves us and wants to obey. A child loves and adult beyond anything else............... It is the child who really loves, who wants to feel an adult near him, and who delights in attracting attention to himself: "Look at me! Stay with me!".................

Adults fail to appreciate this deep love of the child. But we should remember that the little child who loves us now so much will grow up and disappear. Who will then loves us as this child loves us now? Who will call us when he goes to bed, saying affectionately "Stay with me!" instead of bidding us an indifferent "Good Night."'

The book really shows how special childhood is and how much we parents should savor it.

I feel so blessed to have Sean tells me over and over again how much he loves me and kiss and hug me many many times every day. I don't want to think too hard about what he'll be like when he grows up, I just want to savor the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment